Monday, August 27, 2012

Rollin' on the Red In-line Marathon

     Well, Jules Had another adventure planned for me on Saturday, I got to hand out medals at the 2nd annual Rollin' on the Red In-line Marathon.  I was excited about this adventure, Jules talks about skating a lot so I wanted to see what this was like compared to the Roller derby.  The actual adventure started On Friday night.  We went to a place called the Canadinns for a skate and fitness expo.
again with the hanging me
   The Expo was great.  We got free water bottles from Altru, and wrote out cards saying what we would work on in to be healthier in the next year.  Then we made melt a bead projects, I think they were for kids but the nice ladies told us that they were for kids of all ages and let us do one.  We got our shirts for Saturday.  We also say these inline skates.  Wow, they are amazing.  Jules was awestruck by them.  She really wished she could try them.  You could see she was a little sad by this.  I know you all see her as happy go lucky, but she does get sad a lot about the things she isn't able to do anymore.  Finally, because we were volunteering we were treated to a delicious pasta buffet.  My belly was full, and to top it off they had slushies 
for dessert, Jules and my favorite.
I got to meet some of the race big wigs while I was at the expo
     On the way home from the race Jules and I talked about her skating days.  She talked about how she loved to skate.  She started skating basically as soon as she could walk.  She grew up in Minnesota so there was lots of pond hockey in the winter and rollerblading in the summer.   She not only loved to do it but used it as a method of transportation.  She loved to go on the half pipe and skate.  She worked at a roller rink for 3 years in college and said it was the best job ever.  She talks with such passion about it.  I ask her how it makes her feel to not skate.  She says the fact that she will never skate again is heart breaking.  Worse than the fact that she will never pee again.  that makes me feel sad so I change the subject, and tell her how great it is that she is walking better.  She says people do that to her all the time, they don't want to hear the negative.  I begin to think of her as a skater and I chuckle.  She is such an airhead ADD I don't imagine her ever being able to complete a marathon.  I tell her that and we laugh and she agrees.
     It is race day!!! It is 6:30 and the alarm is going off.  I am starting to think that my old assignment at grandma and grandpas house was a lot better gig.  We get in the car and off to the marathon we go. It is freezing cold out too.  When we arrived I couldn't believe  how many people were there.  Skaters and volunteers.   The skaters were lined up at the starting line and waiting for some lightning to pass.  and they had some crazy looking skates on.  There were men, women, and even kids with hockey helmets.  Jules didn't seemed fazed at all by this.  She said this is hockey town those kids will beat half the adults here.  There were over 250 skaters there.  They came from all over Minnesota, Canada, and even Kansas.  How awesome is that!!!  Then I looked up and who should I see???  Bettie and Hellga!!!  I was so excited to see them there.  Way to represent the forx roller derby!  ps. They did an awesome job!
how awesome are they???

Look at all those skaters
     After the we watched all the skaters take off and made sure to cheer on Bettie and Hellga, we had work to to do...but wait...who is that I see.  I see a man in a suit so I figure it is someone important.  Jules tells me it is mayor Mike Brown and Lt. governor Drew Wrigley.  Well of course I had to take a picture with them.  They were so nice to take a picture with us and so friendly, asking me all about my blog.  Mayor Brown even gave me a Grand Forks pin.  Unfortunately I can't vote, but if I could I would vote for them!!!
     Now back to work.  We had to get all the finisher medals and lay them out on the table so the would be ready for the racers when they came in.  This is the best volunteer job there is.  You get to congratulate every racer for the huge accomplishment that they just achieved.  
Here I am with all the medals
     The skaters started coming in ( I couldn't believe how fast they were) and I got to start handing out medals.  Well Jules handed out medals and I just watched and listened.  It was so cool to watch.  Everyone was smiling, even through exhaustion and pain.  Jules was smiling and seemed to have a glow about her as well, i was confused I thought she would be sad.  All the skaters were so grateful.  It seemed like every third one talked about how great the race was set up and how grateful they were to all the volunteers who were cheering them on.  They were saying it was so organized and they can't wait til next year. (me either...I hope I am still here).  I did such a good job I got a medal too.   266 medals later we were done.  
I did so good they let me have a medal too!!!
        We were done by 10:30am, enough time to go back to bed, before we went to visit with Al.  On the way home I asked Jules about that glow she had, and why she wasn't sad.  She told me that doing stuff like this helps her grieve what she can't do, but also shows her how she can still participate and have fun.  She said to see the look in the eyes of those skaters and still be able to relate helps her.  As much as she desires to skate again she must adjust to a life of not skating and what better way to do that than to help celebrate victory of other skaters...
     It was a great morning!!!  Thanks to Laura and her team for allowing me to participate.
I hope you enjoyed this blog...
Until the next adventure...stay safe, stay sane, and stay beautiful America!!!
Stripes 


1 comment:

  1. What a great post! We are so glad you, Jules and Andy could all join us... and I love the picture of you with the, award medals! You really added something special and I hope we can keep you all involved in lots of Rollin on the River stuff throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete