Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Roller derby and a visit with Al



     I was so excited this morning.  Jules told me last night that I was going to my first every Roller derby bout.  So I got up early and stretched, ate a carb filled breakfast, and got my derby gear on was ready to go.  Much to my disappointment Jules said we weren't playing the roller derby game we were watching it.   So we packed up the car and off to Crookston we went!!!
Seriously hanging me from a sign is pretty scary and I did not find it necessary, but I am not the boss!!!
    
     The bout started and let me tell you I am very very very VERY glad that Jules did not let me play.  Those ladies are hard core.  The are fast and they are furious.  Did you get that little reference that I used there.  They taught us that in training in New York.  Anyhow they hit each other so hard knocking each other to the ground with such force you could hear the sound of impact like a gun shot.  I don't know how they continued to get up and skate. Yeah they wore fishnet and stockings but these ladies were no less athletes than any other athlete I have ever seen.  They all had super cool and clever names too.  
     I think the thing that impressed me the most about these women was the sisterhood that they shared.  If you don't know Jules' story she suffered a traumatic brain injury playing this very sport.  The team we went to play was evidently the team she played on.  It has been almost bee two years since she played on that team.  All those girls came over and talked to her, at separate times.  I thought that was really cool.  She said they always make her feel like she is still a part of the team.  She calls them her sisters.  I  guess that this sisterhood is throughout the whole derby community, not just in one town but everywhere.  She said that if your in derby you are instantly part of a community, world wide.  She said she has many friends in North Dakota from Williston, Fargo and Bismark that she stays in touch with through something like ummm facebook that are her sisters only from derby, but hold a special place in her heart.  I think that is really cool.
here we are before the game

     This was awesome...Betty from Willeston took me for a spin around the rink.  I had no idea how fast they went.  I thought I was going to throw up.  It was like a carnival ride, but they didn't have a sign up that said you have to be this tall to ride.  I thought it was fun but I was super scared.  Thank goodness no one gave us a hip check.  I heard Bettty is moving to Fargo so she might be here more often so that would be super cool.  
can you believe they all just just done beating the s#%t out of each other????

     After the bout we were off to Fargo to see Jules' friend Al in the hospital.  I was a little nervous because you never know how it is going to be when you visit someone in the hospital.  I never really know how I am suppose to act or what I am suppose to say.  After 10 minutes with Al I knew everything was going to be ok.  He even took a picture with Jules' and I and told me I could tell his story.

     I guess you may have heard of Al because Jules may have asked you to pray for him, some times over the last few months.  Al has been in the hospital since February 19th, two of those month in the ICU.  The chance that he will get out of the hospital are pretty much slim to none.  The last time that he has been out of his bed was July 4th and that was for about half an hour to watch the fireworks!  It would be too complicated to go into his whole health history, and everything that is going on with him, I don't understand it  all and also that is pretty personal.  Here is what you mainly need to know, before going in...he was a mostly healthy man (he did have copd) and now the doctors  have told him that he will not likely see Christmas.
     I was amazed at our visit.  This man was probably the strongest man that I have ever met.  He did actually remind me a lot of Dave on my old assignment.  We were there for about 4 hours and never complained to us.  He did get a bit grumpy with having to do cares and things but who wouldn't.  He laughed and laughed.  He did have some comments and real insightful thoughts of his imminent death, but didn't dwell on it.  He believes part of his purpose is to help nurses and doctors learn how to deal with long term patients.    he does have the option that he could take steps that would end his life sooner, but he says he enjoys living too much.   I couldn't believe it.  He is suffering so much and here he was laughing and joking and saying he enjoys living.  Then he buys dinner for everyone saying it feels nice to give back to people. Jules visits every Saturday, I hope I get to go with her every week.  He truly is an amazing man.  I hope you all continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers!!!
After such a long day I couldn't even sit on the hospital entrance sign!!!

I hope you enjoyed this blog....
Until the next adventure...stay safe, stay sane, and stay beautiful America!!!
Stripes




   

     











No comments:

Post a Comment